Hey, listeners! We are so excited to share our first ever episode with you, where we discuss Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. We scrapped the original idea of an hour-long podcast because our conversation just kept going, and well, we do what we want. After banishing official podcat Lainey to the other room. we sat together for 3 hours to record this episode (probably too close to our microphones, but it’s our first one sooooo yeah, we’re kinda winging it). Growth mindset, amirite?!
Episode breakdown for easier listening:
- 2:40 . Through the Wardrobe: talking about worldbuilding, like Imperial Russia as the touchstone and Grisha Hogwarts
- 14:13 . “Wands Out!”: all things magic. Kelly proposes that the small science (aka Grisha magic) is quantum mechanics
- 30:39 “Get Me Kylo Ren!”: villainy, conflicts, good vs evil. Hot take: the Apparat is creepy.
- 35:59 . Show Us Your Fics: we dream about fanfic spinoffs of Baghra and Genya
- 37:59 . “One Does Not Simply…” read fantasy without talking about representations of race, class, gender, etc. #obvi *insert Boromir meme here*
- 1:04:58 . Shipwrecked: discussions of sex, (a)sexuality, romance, friendship, and of course, we ship characters too
- 1:17:57: Kill Your Darlings: writing style, characterization, narration…we chat about the craft
- 1:22:46 . RIYL and End stuff
As always, we’d love to be in discussion with you, magical folx. Post or tweet about the show using #criticallyreading. Let us know what you think of the episode, anything we missed, or anything else you want us to know by dropping a line in the comments or reaching out to us on twitter or Instagram (@jkmagicpod), or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also check out the show notes on our website, jkmagicpod.com.
We really appreciate ratings and reviews on iTunes, GooglePlay/Podcasts, Spotify, or any other platforms. Help us share the magic by spreading the word about the podcast!
Please support our labor by leaving us a one-time tip on Ko-fi or purchasing books from our Bookshop! Even better yet, become a monthly patron via Patreon and you can unlock a bunch of exclusive perks like mini-sodes, bonus episodes, and access to our community of reader-listeners on Discord.
JK, it’s magic is recorded and produced on stolen indigenous land: Arapahoe, Cheyenne, and Ute (Kelly) and Chickasha, Kaskaskia, Kickapoo, Mascoutin, Miami, Mesquaki, Odawa, Ojibwe, Peankashaw, Peoria, Potawatomi, Sauk, and Wea (Jessie)