Around 4-5 minutes, you may hear a cat in the background, because Lainey, the podcat, wanted some attention. There is also a season 1 spoiler of Riverdale in this episode (not that big of a spoiler since it’s about Hermione and Hiram). Question: What are your thoughts about the religious aspects of City of Bones? There are many things mentioned in the episode that aren’t part of the book, and here are the links to all of those:
- Here’s a look at the racial bias in marijuana enforcement from the ACLU
- The difference in the way the US teaches slavery and Germany teaches the Holocaust from NPR’s Code Switch
- Lindsay Mack’s Tarot School in case anyone is interested in learning more about tarot
- For anyone interested in learning more about Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
- Or more about moral relativism
- We have mentioned Carry On by Rainbow Rowell in a couple of episodes, so if you haven’t read it yet, here’s a reminder to add it to your TBR
- There are two episodes of Witch Please that talk about werewolves and their connection to illness. Please listen to them both! (I can’t remember which episode they talk about Lupin in Prisoner of Azkaban, but all episodes of Witch Please are amazing).
- If you haven’t already, watch 13th for a look into the ways in which the today’s prison system is modern day slavery.
- Here are a couple articles about the rituals and history of tattoos from PBS, The Smithsonian, and Tattoo.com
- If you didn’t know there is both a TV show and a movie based on The Mortal Instruments Series (J & K have only seen the movie)
As always, we’d love to be in discussion with you, magical listener. Post or tweet about the show using #criticallyreading. Let us know what you think of the episode, anything we missed, or anything else you want us to know by dropping a line in the comments or reaching out to us on twitter or Instagram (@jkmagicpod), or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also check out the show notes on our website, jkmagicpod.com. We really appreciate ratings and reviews on iTunes, GooglePlay/Podcasts, Spotify, or any other platforms. Help us spread the magic by spreading the word about the podcast! Plz support our labor by leaving us a one-time tip on Ko-fi. Even better yet, become a monthly patron via Patreon and you can unlock a bunch of exclusive perks like mini-sodes, bonus episodes, and access to our community of reader-listeners on Discord. The podcast theme song is “Unermerry Academy of Magics” by Augustin C from the album “Fantasy Music”, which you can download on FreeMusicArchive.com. JK, It’s Magic is recorded on Ute, Cheyenne, and Arapahoe land.