Reading A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir led to discussions of the prison system, mythology, and accountability. We loved how exciting a prison break can be. And this book had surprises around every corner, which had K reading the book immediately after finishing the first.
Question: Are Avitas and Elias full or half siblings?
Below are some articles and information about topics discussed in this fortnight’s episode:
- There are lots of different types of mythology out there, not just Greek mythology, but we talked specifically about Persephone and Hades in this episode.
- If you aren’t already, we highly recommend following Rachel Cargle on Instagram. She does a lot of work unpacking white feminism, and has a great article called “When Feminism is White Supremacy in Heels.“
- Also, read this article, “How to Spend your Privilege” by Brittany Packnett.
- Even back in 2003, the American Psychological Association realized prisons were not doing the work of rehabilitating people.
- Pod Save the People
- Serial podcast
- Ava DuVernay’s 13TH
- Brené Brown
- Read this Dear Sugar about leaving, even if you love a person. Laia probably could have used this advice regarding Keenan.
- If you want to read some great books with emotional manipulation that also happen to be very 90’s, check out the Sweep series by Cate Tiernan
. . . . . . .
The podcast theme song is “Unermerry Academy of Magics” by Augustin C from the album “Fantasy Music”, which you can download on FreeMusicArchive.com.
JK, It’s Magic is recorded on lands traditionally belonging to the Ute, Cheyenne, and Arapahoe indigenous peoples.