Hello, magical listeners, and welcome back! We are starting season 2 by reading The Infinite Noise by Lauren Shippen. We’re talking science fiction, mental health, and sexist school norms in this fortnight’s episode. *We received this book as an ARC form the author*
We want to give a content warning for this episode as we discuss issues of depression and self harm. If you or someone you know needs help, please contact The Trevor Project .
- The Bright Sessions podcast
- Highly Sensitive People v Empaths
- The AM Archives podcast
- A Blade So Black by L.L. McKinney is a book that is fantastic at describing the race of ALL characters
- Our episode on A Gentlemen’s Guide to Vice and Virtue is one of the few books we’ve read with a male protagonist
- CA has signed a law to allow college players to accept endorsement deals starting in 2023
- The history of the Sadie Hawkins Dance
- The Infinite Noise as it relates to invisible/chronic illness
- What it means to be a spoonie – which K & J both are. Also, follow Coffee Spoonie on twitter if you’re not already
As always, we’d love to be in discussion with you, magical folx. Post or tweet about the show using #criticallyreading. Let us know what you think of the episode, anything we missed, or anything else you want us to know by dropping a line in the comments or reaching out to us on twitter or Instagram (@jkmagicpod), or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also check out the show notes on our website, jkmagicpod.com.
We really appreciate ratings and reviews on iTunes, GooglePlay/Podcasts, Spotify, or any other platforms. Help us share the magic by spreading the word about the podcast!
Please support our labor by leaving us a one-time tip on Ko-fi or purchasing books from our Bookshop! Even better yet, become a monthly patron via Patreon and you can unlock a bunch of exclusive perks like mini-sodes, bonus episodes, and access to our community of reader-listeners on Discord.
JK, it’s magic is recorded and produced on stolen indigenous land: Arapahoe, Cheyenne, and Ute (Kelly) and Chickasha, Kaskaskia, Kickapoo, Mascoutin, Miami, Mesquaki, Odawa, Ojibwe, Peankashaw, Peoria, Potawatomi, Sauk, and Wea (Jessie)